I can be a pretty verbose person but I am at a loss for words when it comes to what is going on in Palestine right now. I haven’t been writing much this summer because I have been sick a lot. So this is late coming; but, this is what I have for people concerned with disability justice issues:
1. Death toll: So far over 2000 Palestinians been killed including more than 400 children while roughly 67 Israelis have died – all but 3 of whom are soldiers. This is an attempted extermination.
2. Disablement: In addition to the mass murder, many people are being seriously harmed in this ‘conflict.’ The process of disablement through war is reprehensible. People committed to disability justice can still hold pride in the fact that they are disabled or in disability in general while deploring the violent and unjust processes of disablement.
3. Genocide/Eugenics: Israeli parliamentarian called for the murder of Palestinian women. She called Palestinian children “little snakes” and proclaimed their mothers:
have to die and their houses should be demolished so that they cannot bear any more terrorists… They are all our enemies and their blood should be on our hands. This also applies to the mothers of the dead terrorists.*
A number of Rabbis and government officials have called for the mass murder of Palestinians.
5. If you are Canadian or American, you are implicated in this violence – whether you want to be or not. Canada and the US are two of the biggest backers of Israel. Canada has provided unwavering support of Israel through this latest round of mass murder while the US has practiced a form of pretend soft criticism while continuing to support Israel. For a backgrounder on Canada’s role, read Stefan Christoff’s “Canadian hands involved in Gaza bombings“.
Where to start:
- Go to a solidarity demo in your town – start one if you don’t have one.
- Talk to people in your communities about the genocide that is happening against Palestinians right now.
- Support the BDS – boycott, divestment and sanction campaign
- Keep updated through alternative media sources. For example, visit the Electronic Intifada site, listen to Democracy Now for updates.
* from http://www.presstv.com/detail/2014/07/16/371556/israel-must-kill-all-palestinian-mothers/
Links used in this page